Are You Prepared for an Emergency?
If your family is caught in an emergency or disaster, are you prepared? Do you have a 72-hour emergency kit? An emergency plan?
May 3 - 9 is National Emergency Preparedness Week in Canada. Coordinated by Public Safety Canada, this annual program encourages Canadians to become better prepared to face emergencies.
Bring your family and join ATCO Pipelines and the ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen at an upcoming Emergency Preparedness Event for lots of free, family fun and learn how to prepare for an emergency!
- Calgary – The sixth annual Disaster Alley will treat participants to displays, exhibits and demonstrations from first and other responders who help out in emergencies or disasters. Five new exhibitors will be featured this year, joining all the usual favourites like the STARS and HAWCs helicopters, detection dogs, fire trucks, police cars and much more. Another new feature includes the City of Calgary Parks’ “Tree Resource Fair,” which teaches residents how to care for their trees in the event of a spring snowstorm.
- Saturday, May 9, 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at McMahon Stadium.
- The event starts with a free Stampede Pancake Breakfast starting at 10:00 a.m.
- Edmonton – This year’s Get Ready in the Park will focus on extreme weather, response and recovery. This event highlights the City’s level of emergency preparedness and how each of the participating organizations works together to ensure the safety of Edmontonians. Enjoy fun and interactive family activities, watch a real-life search and rescue dog demonstration, and check out state-of-the-art vehicles, equipment and displays from Edmonton’s emergency response community. More than 40 exhibitors will be joining in the festivities.
- Saturday, May 9, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. in Hawrelak Park.
- ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen team will be at both Disaster Alley and Get Ready in the Park. Stop by and check out our interactive displays about how to prepare your family and household for an emergency. We will have information on preparing an emergency pantry and cleaning up after water damage, and will have a fun interactive game!
- High River – The Second Annual Emergency Preparedness Expo focuses on extending a hand and promoting the idea that preparedness is a community event. ATCO will host a display that includes equipment, a damage prevention display and items from BFK, which include what to pack in preparation for an emergency. There'll also be a draw to win a 72-hour emergency kit.
- Saturday, May 9, 1 - 5 p.m., Bob Snodgrass Recreation centre (parking lot).