Mashed cooked cauliflower or squash is added to this delicious take on macaroni and cheese.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
2. To prepare panko topping, combine panko and 2 tbsp (25 mL) melted butter; set aside.
3. Melt 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until bubbly. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
4. Add heated milk, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time, whisking until mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
6. Add cauliflower, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg; stir to combine. Add cheeses, stirring until melted. Remove from heat.
7. Add cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
8. Spoon macaroni mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Sprinkle with panko topping.
9. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until macaroni mixture is bubbly and panko topping is golden brown. Serves 6.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
479 calories, 28.7 g fat, 20 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 1.8 g fibre, 607 mg sodium