Christmas decorating isn’t limited to the tree. You can make your whole house feel festive with a few simple ideas. We can show you how to transform everyday items into holiday decorations with the smallest of effort.
Our favourite ways to decorate:
- Fill a glass pitcher, clear vase or interesting jar with any one of the following:
- Cinnamon sticks tied together in bunches with ribbon
- Dried fruit, such as lemon, orange or apple slices
- Gingerbread men
- Leftover scraps of ribbon from wrapping gifts
- Nuts in their shells
- Pinecones and shiny tree balls
- Ribbon candy or candy canes
- Shiny tree balls and other small ornaments
- Gently fill a glass or crystal bowl or vase with a string of mini lights.
- Wrap throw pillows with inexpensive craft ribbons so they look like gifts. Set them on the top of a couch or on a comfortable chair.
- Decorate a silk plant with indoor mini lights.
- Place a few pieces of cedar, pine or spruce trimmings on a mantle instead of a garland. Tuck bright tree balls or favourite family ornaments into the greenery.
- Spray a mixture of pinecones and unshelled nuts with gold or silver paint and use them to fill a glass serving bowl. Place a tall pillar candle in the centre of the bowl, if desired.
- Using a pretty ribbon or lightweight fishing line, hang pretty tree ornaments at varying heights from a dining room light fixture.
- Spell out festive words like Noel or Peace on a fireplace mantle using children's building blocks.