Christmas Dinner Pre-Orders Now Open!
Whether you’re hosting an intimate dinner or a family feast, we’ve got the turkey and all the trimmings you need to enjoy Christmas with your loved ones. Pre-order by December 20 for pickup on December 22–23.
The kitchen is often seen as the heart of our home. We cook here, gather here and enjoy meals here. Because this is such an important room, it makes sense to keep these safety tips in mind:
Cooking-related fires cause most home fires in Canada. Don't leave cooking food unattended. Even if you're leaving the stove for 'just a few minutes', play it safe. Turn off your stove before you walk away.
Keep a fire extinguisher near the kitchen.
Never pour water onto a cooking oil fire! This will cause the fire to flare and spread. Turn off the stove and put a lid on the pot to smother the flame.
To deep-fry safely, use an electric deep fryer with a temperature control. It’s safer than frying food in a saucepan or frying pan.
Don't wear loose clothes while cooking and keep long hair out of the way. A stovetop electrical coil reaches a temperature of 800°F and a gas flame climbs over 1,000°F. A dishtowel, potholder or a loose sleeve can catch fire at 400°F.
Wipe up spills and clean your oven. Built-up grease can catch fire.
Do not place aluminum foil under meat; the fat retained on the foil can catch fire. To reduce the risk of fire, add water to the broiler pan.
Keep the hood, filter, fan and duct above the stove clean. Grease build-up is a fire hazard.
Don't store items on the stovetop or toaster oven, as they could catch fire. Don’t use the oven as a storage bin; forgotten items may ignite the next time you preheat the oven.
Always turn pot handles toward the back of the stove to prevent them being jostled or grabbed by curious toddlers.
Keep appliance cords at the back of the counter. Pets and young children won’t be tempted to tug on them.
Keep knives in a secure place out of the reach of small children. If you use a knife block, keep it at the back of the counter so it can’t be knocked over.