This is a fun activity for any age and great to do with a family member, friend or by yourself. Rummage through your sock drawer or laundry room for a spare sock, dig through your craft supplies and then get creative by following our easy instructions on how to make a cute gnome to decorate your home. Variations can easily be done to change with the seasons or personalize a gift.
- Clean sock
- Raw rice
- String or cord
- Pink blush or chalk
- Glue or glue gun
- Place sock in a large water glass or mason jar, pulling the top edge down over the sides to hold the sock in place.
- Using a large spoon, put rice into sock until the sock is half full, approximately 1 1/2 -2 cups of rice, depending on how big you want your gnome to be.
- Carefully pull the sock up and remove it from the container. Tie string tightly to secure the rice in the sock, creating the gnome’s body.
- Place an elastic around the top third of the gnome to create its large head; tie a ribbon or cord over the elastic.
- To make a nose, pinch a section of the face, including the rice inside, and secure with a small elastic and then string. Dab some blush or chalk on the nose to make it rosy.
- Continue with additional materials and directions for either Valentine's Gnome or Easter Bunny Gnome.