How to Make Rain Sticks
What you will need for each rainstick:
- Push pin
- 12-inch cardboard tube
- Wood toothpicks, cut in half
- 2 coffee filters, pieces of tissue paper or fabric squares
- 2 tbsp raw rice, dried beans, beads or pebbles
- Paint, coloured markers
- Use the pushpin to make small guide holes in the cardboard tube, making sure you have 1/2 inch between holes.
- Push halved toothpicks into guide holes, making sure that the toothpicks do not go right through.
- Glue each toothpick in place: allow the glue to fully dry before continuing.
- Cover one end of the tube with a coffee filter and glue in place. Pour rice into the tube. Cover the other end of the tube with a coffee filter and glue in place; allow the glue to fully dry before continuing.
- Paint and decorate as desired.
Tip: If using a larger cardboard tube, you will need to add more rice.