ACORN SQUASH WITH MAPLE ORANGE GLAZE
A twist on traditional roasted squash, this easy baked squash dish is sweetened up with maple syrup and orange juice. Earthy spices like cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg transform common squash into the perfect fall side dish.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp grated orange peel
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 acorn squash (about 1 lb each), halved lengthwise and seeded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine maple syrup, orange juice, butter, orange peel, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a small non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is the consistency of a thin syrup, about 6 - 8 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice each squash half lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices.
- Combine squash and maple syrup mixture in a large bowl; toss until squash is coated.
- Place squash in a single layer in two parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheets.
- Bake, turning squash over and switching position of pans after 10 minutes, until squash is tender and lightly browned, about 20 - 25 minutes.
140 calories, 4.6 g fat, 1 g protein, 26.1 g carbohydrate, 1.9 g fibre, 189 mg sodium