APPLE, BACON AND BLUE CHEESE SALAD
Give your green salad a touch of decadence with some salty bacon and blue cheese. The dressing is made with bacon fat and honey for a rich boost of flavour.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup diced bacon
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped shallot
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp liquid honey
- 1 pkg (5 oz/142 g) mixed greens
- 1 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and chopped
- Sauté bacon in a medium non-stick frypan over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove from heat. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain bacon on paper towels and set aside. Drain off and reserve 1/4 cup fat from frypan; cool slightly.
- To prepare dressing, whisk together vinegar, shallot, mustard, rosemary and honey until combined. Gradually whisk in reserved 1/4 cup fat until blended.
- Combine greens, apple, cheese, hazelnuts and bacon in a bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
265 calories, 22.2 g fat, 8.8 g protein, 8.6 g carbohydrate, 1.9 g fibre, 445 mg sodium
To remove skins from hazelnuts, wrap hot toasted hazelnuts in a clean tea towel and let steam for 5 minutes. Roll the enclosed hazelnuts back and forth on a hard surface to separate them from their skins.