APPLE AND BRIE STUFFED WAFFLES
Impress your family or brunch guests with these indulgent waffle sandwiches. For an extra treat, serve them with a side of our irresistible Bourbon Maple Syrup.
Yield: Makes 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 24 brie cheese slices (2 1/2x1x1/4 inch)
- 12 Overnight Raised Waffles or other cooked waffles
- Maple syrup*
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a medium non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Add apple, honey and cinnamon; cook, stirring, until apple is slightly softened, about 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Place 2 slices of cheese on each of 6 waffles. Top each with apple mixture, dividing equally, and 2 additional slices of cheese. Cover with remaining waffles.
- Transfer stuffed waffles to a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until cheese is softened and beginning to melt, about 10 - 12 minutes.
396 calories, 23.5 g fat, 11.7 g protein, 35.4 g carbohydrate, 1.9 g fibre, 418 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 2 cups milk (3.25 %)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup room temperature water
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 pkg (8 g) instant yeast
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Yield: Makes about 2 dozen waffles.
- Remove milk from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Whisk together milk, flour, water, sugar and yeast in a large bowl until smooth. Add cooled melted butter and beaten eggs; whisk until blended. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Batter will rise about double in volume.
- Uncover batter and stir to combine; cook in a preheated greased waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions until golden brown. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
112 calories, 5.1 g fat, 3 g protein, 13.6 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g fibre, 46 mg sodium