APPLE CINNAMON STEEL-CUT OATS
Steel-cut oats take a bit longer to cook than rolled oats do, but once you taste this hot breakfast dish you’ll understand why its worth it. These oats are made all the more tasty with the addition of cinnamon, apples and vanilla and, if you’d like, a touch of maple syrup.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 vanilla bean or 1/8 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1 cup raisins
- Milk (2%)*
- Maple Syrup*
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oats and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add water, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean and salt; stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in apple and raisins; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, about 8 - 10 minutes. Remove from heat; remove and discard cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Serve topped with milk and maple syrup.
319 calories, 8.4 g fat, 7.1 g protein, 61.3 g carbohydrate, 6.3 g fibre, 200 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.