Applesauce Mug Cake
This mild spice mug cake is the perfect solution for a fast and easy weeknight fall or winter dessert. A great recipe for kids to make and even give as a gift.
Yield: Makes enough for 4 individual mug cakes
November 23, 2020
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 4 containers (4 oz/104 mL each) applesauce
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice in a bowl.
- Divide flour mixture equally into 4, about 1/2 cup per portion. Place each portion into a small container or zip-lock bag.
- Place one portion of flour mixture into a microwave safe, straight-sided mug. Add in one 104 mL container of applesauce and mix just until combined.
- Microwave on high 1 - 2 min, or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating. Serve with vanilla iced cream.
340 calories, 0.5 g fat, 4.3 g protein, 81.6 g carbohydrate, 2.7 g fibre, 688 mg sodium
To give as gifts, divide flour mixture evenly between 4 zip-lock plastic bags. Place one bag of the flour mixture and one container of applesauce into each microwave-safe mug and wrap as desired.
Gift Tag Baking Instructions: Pour contents of bag into a mug, add a container of applesauce to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Microwave on High 1 – 2 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before eating.