APRICOT JAM SQUARES
These thin and crumbly baked bars are packed with ground almonds and spice. For an extra treat, there’s a layer of apricot jam sandwiched in the middle.
Yield: Makes 16.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup apricot jam, sieved
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, almonds and spices. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press two-thirds of crumb mixture into an ungreased 9 inch square baking pan. Spread with sieved jam. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top. Press gently into jam.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 - 30 minutes. Cool completely on a rack. Cut into squares. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
196 calories, 8.8 g fat, 2.2 g protein, 28.9 g carbohydrate, 1.0 g fibre, 55 mg sodium