ASIAN KALE SALAD
Kale is hardy enough to stand up to a powerful dressing. Sambal oelek (an Indonesian chile sauce), fresh ginger and peanut butter dress up kale, carrots and beets in a rich and flavourful salad.
Yield: Serves 10
July 02, 2019
- 2 unpeeled large beets, trimmed
- 3 tbsp pure white vinegar
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 8 cups torn kale
- 2 cups julienned carrots
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wrap beets tightly in foil and place in a baking dish.
- Bake until almost tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare dressing, combine vinegar, canola oil, honey, soy sauce, ginger, peanut butter, sugar, sambal oelek, sesame oil and garlic in a small non-reactive saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir in sesame seeds and lime juice; cool.
- Unwrap beets. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and julienne. There should be about 2 cups.
- Combine beets, kale and carrots in a bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
112 calories, 5.2 g fat, 3.2 g protein, 15.4 g carbohydrate, 2.6 g fibre, 253 mg sodium