This hearty chili is packed full of flavour and is perfect for a crowd. Similar to a mole sauce, we added spices, green chilies and a hint of cocoa to this Mexican chili.
Yield: Serves 14
December 11, 2020
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) lean ground beef
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 3/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp oregano, crumbled
- 1 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3 cans (28 oz/796 mL each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (28 oz/796 mL each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) beef broth
- 1 cup beer
- 1 1/2 cups diced green bell peppers
- 3 cans (4.5 oz/127 g each) diced green chilies, drained
- 1 tsp salt
- Toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, diced tomatoes, sliced ripe olives and sour cream*
- In a very large heavy pot, cook beef, onions and garlic in oil until browned. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano and allspice; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in cocoa.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (except toppings); bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chili may be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Reheat to serve. Serve with toppings.
515 calories, 26.9 g fat, 30 g protein, 42.1 g carbohydrates, 13.1 g fibre, 765 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.