BACON AND CHEDDAR PANCAKES
Add a little bit of savoury flavour to your pancake breakfast. These fluffy cornmeal and buttermilk pancakes are studded with bits of crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.
Yield: Makes 16.
July 02, 2019
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- Maple syrup*
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne in a bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk, sour cream and egg yolks until blended. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold a third of beaten egg whites into batter to lighten. Gently fold in remaining beaten egg whites. Fold in cheese, bacon and green onion just until combined.
- Using 1/4 cup batter for each pancake, spoon batter, spreading lightly, onto a lightly greased griddle over medium heat.
- Cook pancakes until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Serve with maple syrup.
118 calories, 4.8 g fat, 5 g protein, 13.6 g carbohydrate, 0.6 g fibre, 290 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.