- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Maple Butter*
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper in a bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in bacon. Add cream to flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently 5 times. Transfer dough to a lightly greased cookie sheet and pat into an 8 inch round. Cut round into 10 wedges. Separate wedges slightly.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 - 30 minutes. Serve scones warm with Maple Butter.
Nutritional analysis per 1 scone serving:
362 calories, 24.6 g fat, 11.4 g protein, 23.6 g carbohydrate, 0.8 g fibre, 479 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped toasted pecans
- Beat together butter and pancake syrup until fluffy. Stir in pecans.