Baked apples are the perfect fall dessert for when you want something warm and apple-y but don’t have the time to bake a pie. Stuffed with walnuts, dried cranberries and brown sugar, these go well with our Caramel Rum Sauce.
Yield: Serves 8
July 02, 2019
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 8 Gala apples
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- Vanilla ice cream*
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare filling, combine brown sugar, walnuts, cranberries, melted butter, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- Using an apple corer or knife and spoon, cut out and discard apple core from each apple, leaving bottom of apple intact.
- Place apples, bottom side down, in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Fill apple holes with filling, dividing equally and packing down as needed. Pour apple juice over filled apples.
- Bake until apples are soft, about 40 - 50 minutes
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
272 calories, 10.8 g fat, 2.6 g protein, 46 g carbohydrate, 5.4 g fibre, 47 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.