BAKED BUTTERMILK BARBECUE CHICKEN BITES
These little skewers are marinated in buttermilk and flavoured with oregano and paprika. They’re great as an appetizer at a summer barbecue.
Yield: Makes 24.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut crosswise into 3 pieces
- bamboo skewers
- 1 cup All-Purpose Barbecue Sauce
- To prepare marinade, combine buttermilk, garlic, oregano, salt, onion powder, paprika and pepper in a large heavy zip-lock plastic bag. Add chicken and squeeze bag to coat chicken with marinade. Seal bag and place on a tray. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Soak bamboo skewers in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry; discard marinade. Thread chicken onto soaked skewers. Place skewers in a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet. Brush each skewer with All-Purpose Barbecue Sauce.
- Bake skewers, turning and brushing occasionally with sauce, for 15 minutes. Discard any remaining sauce. Continue baking until chicken is cooked through, about 5 – 7 more minutes.
69 calories, 2.9 g fat, 6 g protein, 4.9 g carbohydrate, 0.2 g fibre, 203 mg sodium