Baked Citrus Compote with Zabaglione
Zabaglione is a classic Italian dessert. This rich, light and frothy custard is flavoured with Marsala, a fortified wine from Italy that be either sweet or dry. Zabaglione is great on its own or served over fresh fruit.
Yield: Serves 8
March 22, 2020
- 2 cups navel orange segments
- 2 cups grapefruit segments
- 2 tbsp orange or grapefruit juice
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange orange and grapefruit segments, overlapping slightly, in a single layer in a greased shallow 3 quart (3 L) baking dish.
- Combine orange juice, melted butter and brown sugar. Drizzle orange juice mixture over fruit. Sprinkle almonds over top. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until heated through.
- 6 eggs yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Marsala
- Using a medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together all ingredients in a medium stainless steel bowl until blended.
- Set bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water. Do not allow water to touch bowl. Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until mixture is thickened, frothy and pale yellow in colour, about 5 – 7 minutes. Mixture should almost triple in volume.