BAKED EGGS PIZZAIOLA
Pizzaiola is an Italian sauce made of tomatoes, olive oil and Italian seasonings. We love this cheesy baked egg dish for occasions when we’re making brunch for a small crowd.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 2 pkgs (10 oz/300 g each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Havarti cheese
- Place spinach and cream cheese in a large frypan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until cream cheese is melted. Stir in mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper. Spread spinach mixture in bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning; sauté until tomatoes are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes; cool. Spoon tomato mixture evenly over spinach mixture. May be prepared to this point and refrigerated overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove baking dish from refrigerator and let stand for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 6 round indentations, each about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, in tomato and spinach layers, being careful not to go through to bottom of baking dish. Carefully crack an egg into each indentation. Sprinkle Havarti cheese over top.
- Bake, uncovered until eggs are set and spinach mixture is bubbly and heated through, about 35 - 40 minutes.
374 calories, 27.3 g fat, 24.2 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 3.2 g fibre, 916 mg sodium