BALSAMIC STRAWBERRY COMPOTE
If you haven’t tried strawberries with balsamic vinegar before, you may be surprised by how well the combination works. Balsamic magically draws out the strawberries’ sweetness, without overpowering the berries’ natural flavour. Use this easy compote as a topper for vanilla ice cream.
Yield: Makes 3 cups.
July 02, 2019
- 3 cups quartered strawberries
- 2 tbsp packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Ice cream*
- Place strawberries in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, vinegar and nutmeg in a small non-reactive saucepan. Cook, stirring, over low heat until brown sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a simmer. Simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture is reduced and slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Add to strawberries and stir to combine. Let stand, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Serve warm over ice cream.
1.61 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g protein, 2.8 g carbohydrate, 0.3 g fibre, 0.75 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.