Bangkok Pad Thai
One of the most popular Thai dishes. Our version is made with tofu, scrambled eggs, bean sprouts and peanuts and then topped with a homemade pad Thai sauce.
Yield: Serves 4
January 12, 2021
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar or palm sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste or fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce or 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 oz (250 g) flat vermicelli rice noodles
- 1/4 cup canola or peanut oil
- 1 cup cubed extra-firm tofu (1/2 inch)
- 2 tbsp canola or peanut oil
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Phrik Nam Pla, optional* (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Lime wedges, optional*
- To prepare pad thai sauce, combine hot water and brown sugar, stirring to dissolve. Stir in fish sauce, tamarind paste and Sriracha sauce; set aside.
- Prepare rice noodles according to package directions; rinse and drain. Set rice noodles aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a medium frypan over medium-high heat. Carefully add tofu and sauté until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large deep frypan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in bean sprouts. Add beaten eggs and cook, stirring, until eggs are scrambled, about 1 minute. Add tofu and oil; stir to combine. Stir in pad thai sauce. Add rice noodles, green onions and cilantro; toss to combine. Serve immediately with Phrik Nam Pla and peanuts. Garnish with lime wedges.
666 calories, 32.3 g fat, 23.3 g protein, 74.9 g carbohydrate, 5.7 g fibre, 1490 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 6 Thai chiles or serrano chiles, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar or palm sugar
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Yield: Makes about 2/3 cup
- Grind chiles and garlic together using a mortar and pestle. Add brown sugar and grind to combine.
- Transfer chile mixture to a bowl. Stir in fish sauce and lime juice, stirring to dissolve brown sugar. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Stir before using.