BARLEY AND BLACK BEAN SALAD
This filling salad is full of fibre-packed black beans and pearl barley. Rounded out with corn, bell peppers and a creamy yogurt dressing, serve this healthy dish as a lunchtime entrée or a cold side dish.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup medium salsa
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen kernel corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in barley and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 40 - 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Transfer barley to a bowl. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, to prepare dressing, combine salsa, yogurt, lime juice, salt and garlic. Add beans, corn, bell peppers, cilantro and green onion to barley. Add dressing and toss to combine.
321 calories, 1.5 g fat, 16.4 g protein, 64 g carbohydrate, 16.8 g fibre, 940 mg sodium