BARLEY AND FRESH HERB SALAD WITH ROASTED TOMATOES
Use pearl barley for this hardy picnic salad. Full of tomatoes, snow peas, feta cheese and fresh herbs, it’s a great dish to bring to a potluck or barbecue.
Yield: Makes 7 cups.
July 02, 2019
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp liquid honey
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups sliced trimmed snow peas
- 1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup cubed feta cheese
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine water and barley in a small pot over medium heat. Simmer until barley is tender, about 15 – 20 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Meanwhile, whisk 2 tbsp oil, garlic and honey together. Spread tomatoes on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and drizzle with oil mixture. Toss to combine. Bake until tender, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- To make dressing, whisk 2 tbsp oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Transfer barley to a large bowl. Add peas, parsley, mint, cheese, seeds and dressing. Toss to combine. Stir in roasted tomatoes.
352 calories, 21.4 g fat, 10.2 g protein, 32.8 g carbohydrate, 8.4 g fibre, 428 mg sodium