BEAN AND BROCCOLI FILLED TOMATO CANAPÉS
You certainly won’t find a party bite that’s prettier than these stuffed cherry tomatoes. These red and green appetizers work equally well at a summer barbeque or a holiday cocktail party.
Yield: Makes 70.
July 02, 2019
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup canned white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp basil, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 35 - 40 cherry tomatoes, halved
- To prepare filling, cook broccoli in boiling salted water for 4 minutes or just until tender crisp; drain. Cool immediately in ice water; drain. Pat broccoli dry with paper towels. Place broccoli in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add beans, cheese, oil, lemon juice, basic, oregano, garlic, lemon peel, salt and pepper; process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Scoop pulp out of halved tomatoes, leaving a 1/8 inch thick shell; discard pulp. Invert tomato shells onto several layers of paper towels. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe about 1 tsp of filling into each tomato shell. Alternatively, filling may be spooned into tomato shells. Serve immediately.
12 calories, 0.7 g fat, 0.7 g protein, 1.1 g carbohydrate, 0.3 g fibre, 33 mg sodium
If desired, the filling for this canapé may be piped or spooned into crispy hors d’oeuvre shells, such as Siljans Croustades Crispy Shells, instead of halved cherry tomatoes.