BEEF GOULASH SOUP
There are many versions of this traditional (and delicious!) Hungarian meal. Our recipe is full of beef and noodles and is flavoured with paprika and just a little bit of cocoa for added richness.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp marjoram, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cans (10 oz/284 mL each) beef broth
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups coleslaw mix
- 3/4 cup broken fettuccine, cooked and drained
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef and cook, stirring to break up beef, until browned, about 7 - 10 minutes. Drain off excess fat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in cocoa, paprika, marjoram, salt, oregano and red pepper flakes. Add broth, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Add coleslaw mix and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. May be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Reheat soup before proceeding. Add cooked fettuccine and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add sour cream and parsley. Cook just until soup is heated through. Do not boil.
356 calories, 20.7 g fat, 22.9 g protein, 20.3 g carbohydrate, 3 g fibre, 577 mg sodium