BEEF VEGETABLE STIR FRY
Stir-fries make for quick and healthy weeknight dinners. This tasty meal is packed with thin strips of sirloin steak, fresh veggies and Asian-inspired flavours. We like serving it over ultra-thin vermicelli noodles, but you can substitute with steamed rice if you’d prefer.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 4 oz vermicelli rice noodles
- Boiling water
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced asparagus (1 inch)
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- To prepare marinade, combine vinegar, 2 tbsp soy sauce and pepper in a heavy zip-lock plastic bag. Add steak and squeeze bag to coat steak with marinade; seal bag. Let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, place noodles in a bowl. Pour boiling water over noodles to cover. Let stand until noodles are tender, about 8 minutes. Drain noodles; set aside.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.
- Heat oil in a large deep non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, stirring, until browned. Transfer steak to a plate; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are lightly browned and liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus, carrot and beef broth; stir to combine.
- Cook, covered, for 3 minutes or until asparagus is tender crisp.
- Uncover and return beef and any accumulated juices to pan. Add green onions and stir to combine. Stir in hoisin sauce, oyster sauce and 1 tbsp soy sauce.
- Serve immediately over noodles.
288 calories, 12.1 g fat, 27.3 g protein, 18.2 g carbohydrate, 3.2 g fibre, 830 mg sodium