BLACK BEAN AND CORN BURRITOS
These vegetarian burritos are stuffed with beans, corn and a lot of flavour. Serve with a green salad or a side of guacamole and chips for a full Mexican-inspired meal.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup each chopped red and green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1/2 cup frozen kernel corn, thawed
- 1 tsp green or hot pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inch)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream*
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté onion, bell peppers and garlic in oil until tender; combine with black beans, corn, hot pepper sauce, lime juice, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne.
- Place a scant 1/2 cup of bean mixture down the centre of each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and roll up. Place, seam side down, in a greased casserole.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Top with salsa and sour cream.
447 calories, 16.3 g fat, 20.5 g protein, 56.2 g carbohydrate, 13 g fibre, 806 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.