BLACK BEAN HUMMUS
Hummus is typically made with chickpeas, but this spicy black bean version is just as tasty. Serve it with pita chips or as a sandwich spread.
Yield: Makes 1 3/4 cups.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Extra-virgin olive oil*
- Chopped fresh parsley*
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a small frypan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Place onion mixture and beans, jalapeno, tahini, lime juice, cumin, pepper flakes and salt in a food processor; process until almost smooth. With machine running, gradually pour 1/4 cup oil through feed tube of food processor; purée until smooth. Transfer to a serving dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Drizzle with additional oil and sprinkle with parley.
87 calories, 5.2 g fat, 2.8 g protein, 7.8 g carbohydrate, 3.1 g fibre, 142 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.