BLINI WITH STRAWBERRY SALSA
A blini is a small Russian pancake, traditionally made with yeast and buckwheat flour. Ours are served with a dollop of crème fraiche and a strawberry and balsamic vinegar salsa for a light not-too-sweet dessert.
Yield: Makes 52
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (2%), heated to 100 - 110ºF
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- Crème fraîche*
- Strawberry Salsa*
- Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add heated milk and stir just until combined. Do not overmix. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Whisk together egg yolks and melted butter until blended.
- Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold a quarter of beaten egg whites into batter to lighten. Gently fold in remaining beaten egg whites. Let stand for 10 minutes. Alternatively, batter may be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated overnight.
- Using 2 tsp batter for each pancake, spoon batter, spreading lightly, onto a lightly greased griddle or non-stick frypan over medium heat.
- Cook pancakes until light golden, about 1 - 2 minutes per side.
- Serve topped with crème fraîche and Strawberry Salsa.
35 calories, 1.7 g fat, 1.6 g protein, 3.6 g carbohydrate, 0.9 g fibre, 61 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp slivered fresh basil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let stand for 15 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, before serving.
16 calories, 0.1 g fat, 0.2 g protein, 3.9 g carbohydrate, 0.4 g fibre, 1 mg sodium