BRAISED GREEN CABBAGE
Braising is one of the best ways to prepare cabbage. Cooking it over dry heat before adding liquid to the pan results in a tender and flavourful side dish.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage and sauté until it starts to soften. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 - 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender and most of liquid is evaporated.
126 calories, 7.9 g fat, 1.7 g protein, 13.5 g carbohydrate, 3.2 g fibre, 189 mg sodium