Pearl barley releases starch when cooked, giving it a creamy porridge-like texture. Mix cooked barley with honey, dried fruit, nuts and yogurt for a hot and satisfying breakfast.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced dried golden Calimyrna figs
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 7 slices peeled fresh ginger, 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick*
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups homogenized milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Chopped toasted nuts or pumpkin seeds, optional*
- Combine water and barley in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 25 – 30 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Stir in figs, currants and ginger. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in honey, lemon juice and salt.
- Return to low heat. Add milk, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until mixture is creamy, barley is tender, most of liquid is absorbed and desired consistency is reached, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove and discard ginger. Stir in yogurt and orange juice. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve immediately.
257 calories, 3 g fat, 7.2 g protein, 54 g carbohydrate, 4.8 g fibre, 193 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.