BREAKFAST IN A JAR
Prepare this easy breakfast in advance for camping trips or mornings when you need to get out of the house quickly. Combine oats, dried fruit, skim milk powder and other goodies in jars for individual servings. All you have to do is add boiling water when you’re ready to eat!
Yield: Makes 8 jars.
July 02, 2019
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 cups chopped assorted dried fruit
- 1/4 cup skim milk powder
- 4 tsp natural wheat bran or oat bran
- 2 tsp packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape seeds from pod; discard pod or reserve for another use. Combine seeds, oats, dried fruit, skim milk powder, wheat bran, brown sugar, flaxseed, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Divide oats mixture among 8 wide-mouth half-pint (250 mL) jars. Jars will be about half full. Seal jars.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. May be frozen.
- To Make Breakfast in a Jar: Uncover 1 jar. Pour 1/4 cup boiling water over oats mixture and stir to combine. Let stand for 2 minutes
214 calories, 2.3 g fat, 5.6 g protein, 45.5 g carbohydrate, 6.1 g fibre, 165 mg sodium