BRINED AND ROASTED TURKEY PIECES
Turkey roasts more quickly when it’s broken up into individual pieces. These turkey thighs, drumsticks, wings and breasts are brined in a salt solution prior to roasting to ensure a moist and flavourful meat.
Yield: Serves 10.
July 02, 2019
- 16 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups kosher salt*
- 1 cup granulated sugar*
- 2 medium onions, chopped*
- 2 lemons, halved*
- 4 tsp black peppercorns*
- 4 bay leaves*
- 8 lb (4 kg) turkey pieces (drumsticks, thighs, breasts and wings)
- 2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- To prepare brine, combine water, salt, sugar, onions, lemons, peppercorns and bay leaves in a stockpot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Pour brine into a 3 gallon heatproof food-safe non-reactive container, such as an unchipped enamel canner; cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate until cold.
- Submerge turkey pieces in brine, adding cold water if necessary to cover turkey. Cover container and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line two large rimmed baking sheets with foil and place a rack in each; set aside.
- Remove turkey from brine; discard brine, onions, lemons, peppercorns and bay leaves. Rinse turkey under cold running water and pat dry.
- Place turkey on racks in prepared pans. Brush turkey with melted butter.
- Roast for 45 - 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F.
- Transfer turkey to a platter and cover with foil. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- The internal temperature will continue to rise several degrees during standing. The final temperature should be 180 - 185°F in the thigh and 170 - 175°F in the breast.
320 calories, 16.4 g fat, 40.5 g protein, 0 g carbohydrate, 0 g fibre, 114 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.