- 3/4 cup chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped, peeled apple
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 pkgs frozen rolled puff pastry sheets, thawed (454 g)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400ᵒF.
- Combine rhubarb, raspberries, blueberries, apple, sugar, tapioca, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into three 10x10 inch squares. Cut each square into four equal squares.
- Divide fruit evenly between cut squares. Brush 2 sides of each square with beaten egg. Fold square over to form a triangle and pinch to seal edges.
- Cut vents in pastry and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until juices are bubbling and pastry is golden, about 15-18 minutes.
381 calories, 22.1 g fat, 4.9 g protein, 41.5 g carbohydrate, 1.7 g fibre, 148 mg sodium
Filling ingredients can be doubled to make a 9-inch double-crust bumbleberry pie.
To make Skull Pies: Roll out pastry to 1/8 inch thick. Using a skull-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 36 skulls, 12 on each sheet of pastry. Place 18 skulls on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Using a small metal straw or pastry tip, cut out eyes and mouths on remaining skulls.
Place 1 1/2 tbsp of filling on each uncut skull. Brush edges of the pastry with beaten egg before placing the second skull on top; seal tightly.
Bake until juices are bubbling and pastry is golden about 12-15 minutes.