BUTTER LETTUCE WITH DILL POPPY SEED DRESSING
Butter lettuce earns its name from its smooth and tender texture. It matches well with this creamy dill dressing, cucumbers and our pickled red onions.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp liquid honey
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp poppy seeds, toasted
- 1 head butter lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 cup halved and sliced English cucumber
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Pickled Red Onions
- To prepare dressing, whisk together crème fraîche, yogurt, dill, vinegar, honey and salt until blended. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Combine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and Pickled Red Onions in a bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
50 calories, 3 g fat, 1.2 g protein, 4.9 g carbohydrate, 0.7 g fibre, 85 mg sodium
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 strips orange peel (3x1/2 inch each)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups vertically sliced red onions
Yield: Makes about 2 cups.
- Combine all ingredients except red onions in a medium non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add red onions and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a heatproof food-safe non-reactive container; cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 1 week.
- To serve, remove red onions from vinegar mixture. Discard vinegar mixture once all red onions are used.
7 calories, 0 g fat, 0.1 g protein, 1.6 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 19 mg sodium
To vertically slice an onion, trim top and root end off onion; remove skin. Cut onion in half lengthwise. Thinly slice each half lengthwise into strips.