CANADIAN BEER AND CHEESE SOUP
You don’t have to use a Canadian beer for this soup, but why not show some national pride and choose a domestic brand? Either way, the bubbly beer adds a nice edge to this rich and creamy soup.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (355 mL) beer
- 3 cups canned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups milk (2%)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in beer.
- Bring to a boil. Stir in broth and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine flour, dry mustard, cayenne pepper and nutmeg in a bowl. Gradually whisk in milk; set aside.
- Remove pan from heat. Using a hand blender, purée beer mixture until smooth. Return pan to heat.
- Gradually whisk milk mixture into beer mixture until blended. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes. May be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Reheat soup before proceeding.
- Gradually add cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese to soup, stirring until cheese is melted.
269 calories, 17.3 g fat, 11.9 g protein, 13.6 g carbohydrate, 0.8 g fibre, 497 mg sodium