- 50 caramels
- 2 tbsp water
- 4 – 5 medium apples
- Wooden sticks
- Chopped nuts, optional
- Melt caramels with water in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Remove stems from apples. Insert a stick into each apple.
- Dip apples one at a time into caramel mixture, turning until coated. Scrape excess caramel from bottom of apples.
- Roll coated apples in chopped nuts.
- Place on a greased parchment paper-lined tray. Chill in refrigerator.
- Wrap apples in plastic wrap and keep refrigerated until 15 minutes prior to serving.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
378 calories, 18.3 g fat, 44.5 g protein, 4 g carbohydrate, 0.4 g fibre, 486 mg sodium
Tip: For easy removal of cellophane wrappers from caramels, place in freezer until wrappers are brittle and caramels are firm.