CARROT AND TARRAGON BISQUE
Fresh tarragon has a sweet, slightly licorice flavour that comes through beautifully in this elegant carrot soup. Serve it as a starter at a small dinner party.
Yield: Serves 4 as a starter.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tsp dried tarragon, crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Purée mixture in a blender. May be prepared to this point, cooled quickly and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. To cool quickly, transfer mixture to shallow containers and stir frequently.
- Return mixture to pan. Stir in tarragon, lemon juice, lemon peel, salt, pepper and celery seed and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in cream. Serve immediately.
250 calories, 22.7 g fat, 2.9 g protein, 2.1 g fibre, 539 mg sodium