Cast Iron Rosemary Buns
Cream cheese and rosemary are key ingredients that elevate the flavour of these buns.
Yield: Makes 12 buns.
December 12, 2019
- 3 ¼ cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 ½ tsp instant yeast
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water, 100 – 110°F
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- ¼ cup cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 2 tbsp salted butter, melted, divided
- Coarse salt, optional*
- Add flour, rosemary, yeast and salt to an electric mixer bowl. Mix with the paddle attachment on low speed. Add water, egg and honey. Mix on low speed until a shaggy dough is formed, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Gradually knead in cream cheese. Knead until dough becomes smooth and elastic, about 8 – 10 minutes. Alternatively, switch paddle attachment to a dough hook and gradually knead in cream cheese on low speed. Knead for 6 – 8 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl; cover with greased plastic wrap. Proof dough until almost doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 12 pieces. Tuck the edges of each dough piece underneath to create a smooth round top. Pinch edges together to seal. Place the dough seam side down and, with a wide light grip, roll dough in circular motions on a clean counter. The dough should be able to move within your hand. The dough should stick a little to the counter; if it keeps sliding, apply a small amount of water onto the counter.
- Transfer shaped buns seam side down, into an oiled 12 inch cast iron frypan or onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely with greased plastic. Proof buns until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove plastic wrap. Lightly brush buns with 1 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 – 30 minutes, brush with remaining butter halfway through baking. Let cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove buns from pan and cool on racks.
181 calories, 4.6 g fat, 5.5 g protein, 28.8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fibre, 331 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in the nutritional analysis.