CAULIFLOWER AND CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP
Cauliflower and cheddar are a classic pairing, so it’s only natural that they go together so well in this creamy soup. Serve it as a starter before dinner or make a meal of it with a piece of artisan bread.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups homogenized milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (10 oz / 284 mL) chicken broth
- 4 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk, water and broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower, mustard, salt and nutmeg. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Purée soup in small batches in a blender. Soup may be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Return soup to saucepan. Reheat over low heat to serving temperature. Gradually stir in cheese until melted. Serve immediately.
442 calories, 29.8 g fat, 22.1 g protein, 22.9 g carbohydrate, 3.1 g fibre, 995 mg sodium