CHAI LATTE CHEESECAKE
Recreate the flavour of a coffee shop favourite in a silky cheesecake. For something different, try topping this decadent dessert with a drizzle of our Mango Sauce.
Yield: Serves 10.
July 02, 2019
- 1 1/2 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1/3 cup salted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 chai spice black tea bags
- 32 oz (1 kg) cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wrap outside of a 9 inch springform pan with heavy-duty foil. Grease inside of pan.
- To prepare crust, combine crumbs, melted butter, 2 tbsp sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a bowl until blended. Press mixture onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of pan.
- Bake until golden brown, about 8 - 10 minutes. Cool crust completely in pan on a rack.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a non-reactive saucepan. Remove from heat. Add tea bags and steep for 10 minutes. Strain tea through a sieve into a bowl, pressing on tea bags to extract as much tea as possible; discard tea bags. Cool tea completely.
- To prepare filling, use medium speed of an electric mixer and beat together cream cheese, 1 1/4 cups sugar, flour and salt until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Using low speed, beat in tea, sour cream and vanilla just until blended. Do not overbeat.
- Pour mixture into crust. Place springform pan in a large roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come two-thirds up sides of springform pan.
- Bake at 325°F until centre of cheesecake is puffed and jiggles slightly when shaken, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn oven off and let cheesecake stand in oven with door ajar for 1 hour.
- Remove springform pan from roasting pan; remove foil. Place springform pan on a rack. Run a knife around sides of pan to loosen.
- Cool cheesecake completely in pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove sides of pan. Slice cheesecake with a hot wet knife. May be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator
593 calories, 43.2 g fat, 9.7 g protein, 43.8 g carbohydrate, 0.6 g fibre, 536 mg sodium