These timeless appetizers are always a hit! We give our baked cheese twists some extra zing with plenty of spices and some sour cream.
Yield: Makes 60.
July 02, 2019
- 2 1/2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 tbsp packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds or black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place cheese, flour, butter, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, mustard, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder in a food processor; process using an on/off motion just until dough resembles coarse meal.
- Add sour cream and sesame seeds; process, using an on/off motion, just until dough comes together and forms a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough into a rectangle measuring about 12x18 inches.
- Using a sharp knife, cut rectangle in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 30 strips, each about 1/2 inch wide.
- Twist strips and place in parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheets.
- Bake until twists are crisp and lightly browned, about 18 - 20 minutes.
- Let twists stand for 1 minute in pans. Remove from pans and cool on racks.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week. May be frozen.
Nutritional analysis per 1 twist serving:
53 calories, 3.8 g fat, 1.7 g protein, 2.9 g carbohydrate, 0.2 g fibre, 41 mg sodium