CHEESY BROCCOLI SOUP
Broccoli and cheese soup tends to be a favourite among both kids and adults. Our version uses both the broccoli florets and stems as well as creamy Swiss cheese.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 1 cup homogenized milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli stems
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Melt butter with oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, celery and garlic; sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups broth and cook, stirring, until thickened and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in remaining 2 cups broth and milk. Add broccoli stems and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until broccoli stems are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Purée mixture in batches in a blender, filling blender no more than half full for each batch.
- Return mixture to pan over medium heat. Add broccoli florets and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until broccoli florets are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Uncover and add cheese, stirring until cheese is melted. Stir in cream. Serve immediately.
398 calories, 29.5 g fat, 15.7 g protein, 19.2 g carbohydrate, 3.2 g fibre, 1196 mg sodium