CHESTNUT SOUP WITH SPICED APPLES
The combination of earthy chestnuts and our Spiced Apples makes this the ultimate wintertime soup. Serve this creamy soup on a snowy night or as the first course at your Christmas dinner.
Yield: Serves 8 as a starter.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 3 cups vacuum-packed peeled roasted whole chestnuts
- 2 Gala apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Spiced Apples*
- Melt butter in a non-reactive Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chestnuts, apples, onions, celery, carrot and garlic; sauté until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add wine and cook, stirring, until wine is reduced by half.
- Add broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Purée mixture in batches in a blender, filling blender no more than half full for each batch.
- Add lemon juice, honey, nutmeg, salt and cayenne pepper; stir to combine.
- Serve topped with Spiced Apples.
472 calories, 30.5 g fat, 7.6 g protein, 42.7 g carbohydrate, 4.4 g fibre, 331 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 2 peeled Gala apples
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tbsp grated orange peel
- 1 tbsp packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
Yield: Serves 8.
- Using a small melon baller or spoon, scoop small round balls out of apples; discard apple cores.
- Melt butter in a medium non-reactive frypan over medium heat. Add apple balls and sauté until lightly browned, about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add brandy, orange peel, brown sugar, cinnamon, chili powder, nutmeg and cumin; cook, stirring, until apple balls are glazed. Serve immediately
55 calories, 3 g fat, 0.2 g protein, 6.6 g carbohydrate, 0.8 g fibre, 25 mg sodium