- 1/4 cup milk (2%)
- 3/4 cup crustless whole wheat bread cubes
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) ground chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded parsnips
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp basil, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Place a rack on top.
- Pour milk into a shallow bowl. Place bread cubes in milk. Let stand for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Squeeze excess milk out of bread cubes, squeezing bread cubes together to form a paste. Discard milk.
- Combine bread paste and all remaining ingredients until blended.
- Shape mixture into very small balls, each about 3/4 inch in diameter. Place meatballs on rack in prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until completely cooked. Meatballs may be baked in advance and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
Nutritional analysis per meatball:
20 calories, 0.9 g fat, 1.9 g protein, 1.2 g carbohydrate, 0.2 g fibre, 24 mg sodium
Tip: The bread paste made in this recipe is called a panade. A panade is used to help bind ground meat mixtures.