CHICKEN NUGGETS WITH SWEET AND SOUR DIPPING SAUCE
These tender pieces of chicken will be a hit with kids and adults alike. Keep some in the freezer for days when you need a quick lunch.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds, optional
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce*
- Combine panko, sesame seeds, chia seeds, paprika and salt in a pie plate; set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Cut each chicken piece crosswise into 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- Place chicken in a bowl. Add mayonnaise and toss to coat.
- Working with a few chunks at a time, place chunks in panko mixture, pressing lightly so that panko mixture adheres; turn to coat all sides.
- Nuggets may be prepared to this point and frozen for up to 1 month. If freezing, layer nuggets with wax paper in an airtight container. Do not thaw before baking.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place nuggets in a non-stick foil-lined large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until nuggets are completely cooked and coating is golden brown, about 15 minutes if fresh and 20 minutes if frozen.
- Serve with Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce.
278 calories, 14.9 g fat, 21.3 g protein, 15.7 g carbohydrate, 2.7 g fibre, 429 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Yield: Makes 1 cup.
- Whisk together vinegar, broth and cornstarch in a small non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, bell peppers, soy sauce, ginger and garlic; stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 5 – 7 minutes. Serve warm.
62 calories, 0.1 g fat, 0.3 g protein, 15.3 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 166 mg sodium