Stronganoff is usually made with beef, but this lighter version uses chicken. This weeknight dinner is great served over your favourite kind of noodles.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) chicken breast fillets
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 cups quartered fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10 oz / 284 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked noodles*
- Combine flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Add chicken to flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Melt butter in a large frypan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 5 - 6 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Add mushrooms and onion to frypan; sauté until mushrooms are light golden and onion is tender.
- Stir in broth and mustard. Bring to a boil, scraping to loosen browned bits.
- Return chicken and any accumulated juices to frypan. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream. Cook, stirring, just until heated through, about 1 minute. Do not boil.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve over noodles.
273 calories, 12.1 g fat, 28.3 g protein, 12.5 g carbohydrate, 1.7 g fibre, 629 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.