CHILLED STRAWBERRY RHUBARB SOUP
Serve this unconventional soup as an appetizer on a hot summer evening. The combination of fruit, coconut milk, lemongrass and jalapeno gives this soup a unique and dynamic flavour.
Yield: Serves 4 as a starter.
July 02, 2019
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 kaffir lime leaves or 1 tsp grated lime peel
- 1 piece lemon grass stalk (2 inch), crushed
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a medium non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; remove and discard lime leaves, lemon grass and jalapeno.
- Purée mixture in batches in a blender, filling blender no more than half full for each batch.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until cold or for up to 24 hours.
- Stir before serving.
272 calories, 19.6 g fat, 2.6 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 2.8 g fibre, 91 mg sodium
Kaffir lime leaves are dark green and uniquely shaped. A single leaf looks like two leaves attached together. They can be found fresh, frozen or dried. Look for them in Asian grocery stores.
Hot peppers cause severe skin and eye irritation. Wear disposable gloves when handling hot peppers and avoid touching any exposed skin.