CHOCOLATE DIPPED BANANA BREAD SLICES
Turn slices of wholesome banana bread into a fun dessert by dipping them in melted chocolate. We freeze the slices before dipping so that they don’t fall apart.
Yield: Makes 12.
July 02, 2019
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Using high speed of an electric mixer, beat together oil and sugar for 3 minutes.
- Using low speed, beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla until blended.
- Fold in flour mixture just until combined.
- Spoon batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 1 – 1 1/4 hours.
- Cool loaf in pan on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Invert loaf onto rack and cool completely.
- Transfer loaf to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut loaf into 3/4 inch thick slices.
- Place slices on trays. Cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium stainless steel bowl.
- Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Do not allow water to touch bowl. Cook, stirring frequently, until chocolate chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Working with one slice at a time, dip one end of frozen banana bread into melted chocolate, shaking off excess. Alternatively, chocolate may be drizzled over frozen banana bread.
- Place dipped slices onto parchment paper-lined trays. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm and banana bread is thawed, about 30 – 60 minutes.
- May be refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
391 calories, 18.2 g fat, 4.7 g protein, 57.2 g carbohydrate, 3 g fibre, 233 mg sodium